RWJBarnabas Health is the most comprehensive health care delivery system in New Jersey, with a service area covering five million people. The system includes eleven acute care hospitals - Clara Maass Medical Center in Belleville, Community Medical Center in Toms River, Jersey City Medical Center in Jersey City, Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus in Lakewood, Newark Beth Israel Medical Center in Newark, RWJUH- New Brunswick, RWJUH- Somerset in Somerville, RWJUH- Hamilton, RWJUH- Rahway and Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston; three acute care children's hospitals and a leading pediatric rehabilitation hospital (Children's Specialized Hospital), a freestanding 100-bed behavioral health center, trauma centers, a satellite emergency department, ambulatory care centers, geriatric centers, the state's largest behavioral health network, comprehensive home care and hospice programs, fitness and wellness centers, retail pharmacy services, a medical group, multi-site imaging centers and an accountable care organization.
Barnabas Health Medical Group is a multispecialty group practice comprised of highly trained and experienced world class primary and specialty care physicians. Barnabas Health Medical Group physicians provide compassionate and innovative cutting-edge care for people at every stage of life at easily accessible facilities conveniently located throughout New Jersey. Backed by the vast continuum of resources of RWJBarnabas Health, the largest not-for-profit integrated health care delivery system in New Jersey and one of the largest in the nation, our dedicated physicians and expertly trained supporting staff continuously strive for clinical excellence.
The Certified Medical Assistant is responsible for delivery of quality patient services, office communication, and information storage and retrieval services to patients and staff by performing related reception and clerical duties. Assist physician in providing primary health care and management of patient care. Will travel between Urgent Care locations in Edison, Clark, and Newark, NJ. Is responsible for reporting identified safety issues such as hazardous environments (i.e. damaged floors/walls/ceiling tiles/unsecured areas) and medical errors.
- Assists with both front office and back office duties.
- Greets patients, update demographics, verifies insurance, and collects payments as necessary.
- Answers phones and schedules patient appointments.
- Assists physicians with patient treatment and minor surgeries.
- Communicate with insurance carriers to obtain authorizations for procedures and pharmaceuticals.
- Handles patient's requests for medical information, copies of medical records, refills, test results, etc. as instructed by the physician with signature, obtains patient release forms in accordance with patient confidentiality and medical record release policies. Schedule testing (in or out of office).
- Call in patient's prescriptions to pharmacies.
- Maintain inventory of medical and pharmaceutical supplies, order and stock as needed. Maintain drug cabinet.
- Maintains patient files, records and other information.
- Notify patient of change in medications/diet and reminders regarding appointments. Monitor patients' need for weekly and/or monthly tests.
- Notify physician of any situation they determine emergent.
- Performs routine medical testing, i.e. blood testing, ekgs, pulmonary function tests, spirometry tests, hearing, vision (including color blindness test), urinalysis, rapid strep tests and drug screening, injections and vaccinations.
- Prepare lab requests forms and tests to be forwarded to lab. Post lab results and file in patients' files.
- Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments.
- Prepares patients for examination and treatment. Takes patients brief history and vital signs.
- Responsible for performing duties independently following established and standardized procedures and methods, referring questionable situations to immediate supervisor or others.
- Telephones patient follow-up on their condition after office visit as per the physician's instructions.
- Call patients or other physicians with results of exams and tests.
- Certified Medical Assistant is required.
- Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- At least six (6) months to one (1) year of relevant experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Previous medical assistant experience or background preferred.
- Must have a Nationally Certified Medical Assistant or Registered Medical Assistant certification through AMT, NHA, NCCT, or AAMA. OR qualify and obtain certification within 60 days of hire.
- BLS required. Individual is expected to attend some classes that educate and improve medical service skills on a yearly basis and produce supporting documentation.
- Must be willing and able to travel to Edison, Clark, and Newark, NJ locations.
- Bilingual is a plus.
We offer a great work environment, competitive rates and excellent benefits, including:
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans
- 401 (k)
- Short & Long Term Disability
- Basic Life & Accidental Death Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer