1 CLARA MAASS DRIVE, BELLEVILLE, NJ 07109
Located in Belleville, Clara Maass Medical Center is a facility of RWJBarnabas Health and provides a complete continuum of care to residents of northern New Jersey. With over 700 physicians and 2,100 employees, we offer advanced treatment for a wide variety of medical conditions. Our facility includes centers for advanced wound care, sleep disorders, bariatrics, orthopedics cardiac services, cancer care, emergency services, and more. In 2017, the Medical Center completed a state-of-the-art campus expansion featuring a new four-story 87,000 square foot building with a private, 32-bed Intensive Care Unit, new Main Entrance and Lobby, Retail Pharmacy, Patient Registration Area and a recently expanded Emergency Department.
Clara Maass Medical Center has been recognized nationally for its quality and patient safety by Healthgrades and by The Leapfrog Group, having earned its twelfth Grade A in 2019. The Medical Center has received Disease-Specific Care Certification from the Joint Commission for Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS), Congestive Heart Failure, Hip Replacement, Knee Replacement, Cardiac Rehabilitation and Advanced Certification in Palliative Care and is listed by the American Hospital Association as one of Healthcare s Most Wired hospitals. In 2018, the Medical Center earned a designation in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality from the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
We are looking for a Data Control Assistant to work part-time nights managing the phlebotomy processing in our lab, a professional who is interested in helping people to stay healthy and save lives. You will be tasked with drawing blood, tissue, and fluid from patients for testing, research or donations. If you are dedicated and have a firm but kind hand, we d like to meet you.
- Accurately record and register patient demographics, physician information and test requests according to established laboratory protocol.
- Prepare specimens for testing according to individual test protocols including centrifugation, separation of serum, plasma, cells or other fluids needed for testing.
- Preserve specimens in the proper environment.
- Ensure the patient has physician orders for the test to be performed, enter orders in the Laboratory Information system as appropriate.
- Produce lab reports, sort, deliver and fax patient reports to physician offices or nursing floor, as requested.
- Process and pack laboratory specimens for transport.
- Provide patients with appropriate container and instructions for the collection of a specimen; receives specimen, accession them and distributes to the appropriate section of the laboratory.
- Perform venipuncture/ blood collection as needed.
- Maintain appropriate inventory of supplies at all times.
- Arrange daily activities, based on the urgency of requests for fluid samples.
- Identify patients and their personal information using their ID, documents, or other means.
- Determine the right venipuncture method, based on patient age, health, etc.
- Ensure the optimal quality and quantity of samples.
- Covers a pneumonic tube system station in the Core Lab when needed.
- Examine specimens for suitability for analysis and provides corrective action.
- Generate patient & departmental reports & collection lists as scheduled.
- Keep the Receiving Area Drawing Site clean and well organized.
- Reassure patients and help them relax.
- Utilize excellent communication skills in servicing internal and external hospital customers.
- Adhere to all relevant health and safety standards while working.
- Be flexible to any related duties, as assigned.
- A High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- A Certification in Phlebotomy or EKG Technology (required).
- Strong EKG or computer skills (preferred).
- Six months of phlebotomy & EKG experience.
- Experienced with effective puncture techniques.
- Understanding of proper patient identification methods.
- Knowledgeable of legal requirements about drawing blood, handling fluid samples and use of relevant medical equipment and material.
- Able to use computers to enter information.
- An effective communicator.
- The ability to connect with various types of patients (such as children, elderly, pregnant women) and make them feel comfortable.
- Patience and presence of mind.